Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Remember...

that age when you started saying to adults, "do you know [insert random fact]?" I was always so frustrated when they answered, "yes, I did know that."

I think this must happen around 8 or 9 years of age, but suddenly I remember feeling amazed at the scope of mysteries that I was able to understand. Every day was full of opportunities to soak up more knowledge, more information about the world. It seemed impossible that the adults already had all of this knowledge stored inside their brains. Did they realize how much I knew? And everyday I knew more! Surely I would be able to add to their knowledge with one of my nuggets of wisdom. Surely they hadn't explored all of these mysteries before me, without me!

3 comments:

Dave said...

One day, I was out riding my bike and I figured out that Washington D.C. and the state of Washington were both named after George Washington and I felt like a genius.

I love that feeling...

Anne said...

I was so disappointed that everybody knew raisens were made from grapes.

Marti said...

One day I walked out with my friend to get her family's mail and she put some outgoing letters into her mailbox for the mail carrier to pick up. I was amazed by the cleverness of this brilliant system, which saved so many trips to the post office and made it possible for us all to be interconnected without leaving our homes. I called several of my friends to make sure they knew about it . . .

It's a true story, but I was 29 not 9. My friends all laughed at me. I certainly felt like I was 9 years old that day. (There's a lot you never have to learn when your mom works at the post office).