Thursday, January 17, 2008

BKS

Early Stages hires storytellers for five preschool centers in the Brooklyn housing projects. The centers together are called the Brooklyn Kindergarten Society, and the two centers I've seen are excellent programs. Today I went to observe a new storyteller and I watched her work with two, three, and four-year olds. The kids are so little that a new adult can't just observe, or the kids want to watch the newcomer instead of participating. So I sat on the rug and did all of the motions and songs and games with them. It was quite enjoyable.
In the two-year old class, I came I little late, so she had already begun the lesson when I snuck onto the back of the rug. One little boy crawled right over to me and put his head in my lap and lay there while I rubbed his back. It was a little bizarre and made me think that he must not get enough attention. It just doesn't seem typical for two-year olds to throw themselves into strangers' laps. In the three-year old class, there was another little boy who was fascinated by my presence. I finally pulled him into my lap to help him focus on the story time. After following along for a while, he then turned around to poke at my necklace, feel my arms and just generally stare at me and figure me out.
Its kind of nice to be around little ones with their different rules of engagement. They poke and stare and giggle. Especially the three-year olds. They thought so many things were hilarious, and the peer pressure to join in the laughter is intense at that age. I'm just saying. Knees and shoulders, funny stuff.

4 comments:

J. Baird said...

Yeah, kids 2 and 3 are the cutest!

Dave said...

I must say I am a sucker for the 2 year old. But it's belly buttons that are really funny! Especially mommy's wierdo out-y.

Marti said...

I always love hearing you talk about the kids you work with. it seems like it brings you a lot of joy to be with them. People who don't really like kids very much in general always say it's different with your own kids--because they're your own. But I still can't help thinking your kids are in for a super-special treat.

Anne said...

I like hearing you talk about kids too. I'm going on my pediatrics rotation this semester, so I need lots of tips on all ages.

Knees and shoulders. Got it.