Saturday, November 24, 2007

Introverted

This has been my schedule for the last week:

Sunday: Eric and I went to a storytelling event, met friends for dinner in Brooklyn, and then took a taxi to my father-in-law's (Lenny) house to greet Eric's aunt and uncle who had just arrived from Germany
Monday: Worked all day, went straight to dinner with Lenny, Jan and Hanne (the aunt and uncle) and Eric
Tuesday: Worked all day, went straight to dinner with the same group, then went to watch a contemporary ballet show, got home at 11pm when Eric had to prep the turkey for Thanksgiving
Wednesday: Cooked and cleaned, tutored for 2 hours, cooked, went to class, met Eric at a party
Thursday: Started cooking at 8:30, took a 1 hour break, cooked and prepped the rest of the day, guests arrived at 3 and left at 9:30
Friday: Cleaned up, went to a movie with Eric, met the same group (9 of us in all) for dinner at the raw food restaurant
Saturday: Met Lenny, Jan and Hanne and went on a drive out of the city to walk around, came into the city for dinner at Angelica's restaurant

It has been a wonderful week, but I would like nothing so much as to sit all by myself for a very, very long time.

6 comments:

Anne said...

My sister is an extrovert, so I asked her how long she could comfortably go without any human contact. A couple of hours she said. Personally, I could do about a month and feel pretty good.

Kirsten said...

A couple of hours! oh my.
My mother spent my childhood worrying about my loner characteristics. She thought I would never be able to make friends. Then when we started moving ALL the time, I would complain to her about how hard it was to meet people. Her famous line--because she said it to me so often--was, "you just go up to people and say: Hi, my name is ______." I would melt in horror at the thought of being so forward. "What do I say after that?" I would ask her. She never seemed to worry that it would be a problem.
After much moving and living in dorm settings from ages 16-21, I've come to enjoy a lot more human contact. But I do still love long stretches of quiet time where I can do whatever I desire. I look at people with a busy social calendar and wonder how they manage. And then I feel like maybe something is wrong with me.

Anne said...

I completely understand the feeling like something is wrong with you for wanting alone time. Even being a morning person can do that.
I'm feeling rather alone in blogosphere world right now. ;)

Kirsten said...

Yes, you have been blogging up a storm while everyone else went on holiday break. :)
Marti, Robyn and I had the opportunity to all get together for lunch today. We thought that perhaps we should take a picture that said, "Missing Anne" and all post it on our blogs. :) We're going to have to plan a bloggers' weekend sometime and actually meet in person.

Dave said...

Marti told me about that Blogger's Weekend idea. This was after Anne called her cell phone and she tried to make me answer and actually talk to Anne! I got so shy and embarrassed! I didn't know what to say. weird. I can comment on her blog and write about her on mine, but actually talk to the poor girl? hmmm..... so, I might need some prep work before an actual blogger's weekend.

and if there is a blogger's weekend, I feel strongly that it should involve crafts.

Anne said...

I'm totally game -- crafts and all!