Saturday, November 24, 2007

12 Years

All week I have been meaning to mention this on my blog, and I have been so busy, I haven't. This Thanksgiving marks the twelve year anniversary of my becoming friends with firefly. Twelve years ago we gathered with a group of girls to eat the Thanksgiving dinner in the cafeteria one week before the real Thanksgiving. After dinner we went to our Intro to Literature class. We were listening to a guest speaker that night, and Marti had to leave early because she didn't feel well. About an hour later, I also threw up and left class to go back to the dorm. The next morning I was still too weak to go get breakfast and my roommate didn't help me after leaving for class. Marti, who had heard from others in the class that I was also sick, came down to my room and offered to get me something. (She was feeling better by that time.) I gratefully received her offer and when she came back with food, we got into our first one-on-one conversation. I think we talked about demons or something. :) Who knows. We were very serious young students and took comfort in being able to talk with each other about the pressing concerns of the world. That really hasn't changed much, though now we do tend to laugh at ourselves a bit more.
Firefly, your friendship was probably the best gift from Westmont. Thanks for all of these years of love and care.

1 comment:

Dave said...

yeah, I guess Marti is okay.