Saturday, December 8, 2007

Numb

Our dentist is out on Long Island, which is really very stupid. There are dentists in our neighborhood within walking distance, but instead of using them, this morning I climbed on the LIRR for a 20 minute train ride plus 30 minutes of waiting followed by a 5 minute taxi drive to the dentist. And all of this because I'm afraid to drive Lenny's car and I've never driven a car on the island and those skinny lanes on the freeway make me nervous. I really hate feeling like I can't drive. It makes me feel like I'm becoming dependent in an unpleasant way. So I think tomorrow I'm going to make myself drive Lenny's car!
I explain all of this hassle only to make it clear why I told the dentist to go ahead and numb three parts of my mouth and drill all 5 cavities in one office visit. FIVE cavities! I've only had 2-3 cavities in my life and today he worked on five. What's wrong with me? I still brush my teeth. I don't eat a ton of sugar. Eric says welcome to my thirties.
Anyway, my mouth is totally numb now, especially the bottom left side of my lip, tongue, and everything else in there. Eric is loving it. He keeps asking me to say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." (and that word is in spell check) I tell him he is a mean and insensitive husband, but since he drove out to pick me up, I guess I can't complain. Anyway, when I do, it just makes him laugh harder.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Sometimes I think you were brilliant to marry a real live New Yorker. Someone that knows the place well and can help you find what you need. But, well, in this case....maybe you should look for a dentist nearby. ;)

um, Hi Eric!

Kirsten said...

:) yeah, I know what you mean. Our dentist retired and passed us on to this dentist, which meant we could no longer get to our dentist by subway. And I keep thinking I should find a new dentist, but I really love this dentist. He has the coolest equipment and he's really personable, and I feel like it's the best care I've ever gotten for my teeth. So maybe I'll just put up with the inconvenience.