Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dance Class Observation

I'm puzzled by an observation I made during my last Dance Therapy Class. We were doing our usual closing time of moving to music when the professor asked us to move into a circle and to shift our awareness to the others in the group. She danced up to my left side and I moved over to close in the circle. As she danced next to me, I became very aware of her warmth and energy. I could feel her energy like a warm embrace on my left side. We weren't touching, there was about 6-8 inches between us, but her presence was unmistakable. I tried to focus on the student dancing on my right side, wondering if I turned my awareness to her movements if I would feel the same connection. I made eye contact, smiled, and tried to match the style and tempo of the student's movements. But I never felt the same energy. In fact I couldn't feel anything at all. Meanwhile, even when I was trying to focus on the student, I continued to feel my professor's presence.
This experience fascinates me. I think I will discuss it with my professor on Thursday.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Kirsten! You were the chosen one. She came and chose you to dance next to. The leader, the instructor, the head. She could have gone to dance by anyone, but she chose you. I guess I am picturing this in Kindergarten class terms. Knowing that the teacher was the ultimate hero (which really is why I taught Kindergarten...I'm a sucker for hero worship), but I think even as an adult, when I meet an instructor/mentor that I really respect the interaction becomes really important and meaningful. I wonder if the person on your other side began feeling the good vibes after you engaged them more. I mean, you weren't the professor, but seeing someone make the friendly effort is a fun feeling.

What was the other dancer's response?

Kirsten said...

That's a good hypothesis. I'm not sure how the other dancer felt. We didn't talk after class, so I'll have to ask on Thursday.