Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Home

Eric has been feeling discouraged by the direction his job is taking lately. So when someone from England called him about a job, he decided to inquire further. It's strange how that idea entering our lives has clarified other things. For example, we would be incredibly sad to sell our apartment. This weekend will mark one year and for the first time in who knows how long, we both feel like it's home. And even if I'm still trying to find my way in NYC, I do feel like I've invested myself here. It would be discouraging to pick up and start over again.
Last night as I was drifting off to sleep, I remembered the feeling I always get right after moving. I feel as if I'm playing make-believe for the first few weeks in a new house. When I fall asleep I have to remind myself that this new location is now my home. But it's strange at first. And when I wake up in the morning, there's a moment of realization that I'm not where I expected.

No comments: