Saturday, May 12, 2007

Encouragement

I was noticing this week how big a part encouragement plays in teaching. I was feeling a little stuck with a student of mine. I was pushing her in a way that was feeling frustrating for both of us and not getting her to the point of discovery that I was hoping for. She was pulling back from me emotionally and responding with more fear to the activities I proposed. So yesterday I decided to have a short celebration time. I suggested we make a list of all the books she's finished, and I excitedly praised her progress, declaring it amazing to see how much she's done. While doing this, she broke down and told me that she wasn't doing so well in math and she was really nervous about her times tables. This was a break through, because then I could understand the behavior from earlier in the day.
She brought in her flashcards and we started practicing, and then she broke into tears announcing that it was impossible to memorize three sets of times tables before Monday's Math Bee. She had so much going on this weekend, it just wasn't going to be possible! I went into hyper encouragement mode, helping her to notice past success and reminding her of her abilities. Then I helped her break the task down into more manageable chunks and brainstormed some strategies that she could use to fit in the practicing over her busy weekend. And I left her to start practicing with the last 20 minutes that we had, saying I'd come back to quiz her before I left. When I returned, she was a new girl. She had tackled the 3's, and just about memorized them.
And I witness this with adults too. They don't often allow the tears to fall, but they reach points of utter frustration where they just want to give up. And if I can find a way to give hope and provide a simpler task that they CAN accomplish, they will find new resolve to stick with the learning process.
It can feel so hopeless when one is learning something new. And in the frustration, the learner often can't see any progress. But it's enlightening to be the teacher in such situations and to see the progress so clearly. And to realize that the point of greatest despair is often right before the breakthrough.

No comments: