Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Miscellaneous Update

I'm feeling better today, though still a bit sluggish. Do you all feel disheartened after being sick? Like you are so behind and still tired, and why even try to catch up? I'm feeling like that today.

I've also been reading The Golden Compass, and loving it! Eric starting reading it to me on Saturday when I was moaning from aches and pains, and now I'm hooked. There's this fun concept in it of everyone having a "daemon," which is some extension of a person's consciousness and being, but they take animal forms. The children's daemons can change shape, experimenting with all kinds of animals, but once the child grows up, then the daemon settles into one kind of being. I think it's a fantastic idea for a fantasy book, and I love seeing what form the various daemons take in the book.

And speaking of animals, I saw this video on YouTube and couldn't resist posting it. It's a hedgehog eating. It looks so cute it feel like it should be animation. Does that not remind you of Winnie the Pooh?

That's all for now. Tomorrow I have my writing class and I've done NOTHING this week. And then Friday Eric and I leave for our super annual Dance Flurry weekend. I wish you were all coming.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. No sign of sick around here.

I am feeling a bit out of sorts this week too. I am in between projects for my work and when there is a hole there, the whole structure of my day falls apart. Yesterday I was really worried about getting bored and sad. But I didn't. And today I am enjoying a lazy quiet time reading while Andrew 'rests'. Odd for me, but maybe it shouldn't be.

Have a great time at the Flurry this weekend! I hope that you are fully recovered by the time it comes!

Marti said...

"Tomorrow I have my writing class and I've done NOTHING this week. "

But . . . what about . . .?

* The writing class I'm taking for the second time always starts with the same assignment: write every day for 15 minutes in a journal.

* I think the journal time is space to write without revising. To pull together the clay and mud that will later be sculpted.

* I've completed this assignment for six out of the last seven days. A modest victory, but a beginning.

Marti said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, too.

At some point during the last few months, I had a nightmare about a baby hedgehog that was undeterrably trying to woo me and propose marriage. In the dream, so much revulsion mounted that I wanted to kick the hedgehog over the fence and out of my yard, but I felt too guilty about kicking this tiny, fairly helpless, adorable little creature. I locked myself in the bathroom to hide from it and changed into pants so it couldn't crawl up my skirts.

The dream was so very vivid that I've had a visceral aversion to baby hedgehogs ever since. Last night when I first opened the YouTube link and saw the image, I had this vague initial feeling inside, like, "Back off, chump!"

So, thank you for posting the video. It gave me a chance to work through my reaction formation where baby hedgehogs are concerned. After reading Anne's blog, I suspect I may have hidden the secret truth from myself--that I have the hots for baby hedgehogs.

J. Baird said...

Sorry to hear that you have been sick. I find being sick the most annoying thing in the world. It's sweet that Eric reads to you. The hedgehog video was cute and disturbing at the same time. To answer your question about the job hunt I am still a bit slow. I have a plan and some goals to research local agencies. I had my first shift at the crisis clinic last week and enjoyed it a lot. The idea of going to school to be a chaplain came to me last week when I stayed at the hospital with my friend and her dying father. The thoughts pour in daily...its the action part that is missing.