Friday, September 28, 2007

More from Dance Therapy Class

Last night my professor was at a Dance Therapists' Conference, so she left two movies for us to watch. The movies showed dance therapy sessions with all kinds of different populations: prisoners, psychiatric patients, a normal (meaning not diagnosed as psychotic) woman, elderly patients confined to wheelchairs, normal preschoolers in a group, disturbed preschoolers in a group, autistic children in one-on-one sessions, the parents of psychotic children in a group of adults. It was fascinating to see the therapy in process. It helped me to get a sense for how what we do together in the class relates to the actual work.
The videos were extremely moving in some cases. The work with the two autistic children moved many in the class close to tears. The children couldn't relate to any other people, they didn't play with toys, they just spent their time in a bare room "stimulating themselves," which sounds funny to me, but that is the technical language that was used to describe autism in the videos. The therapist started by imitating the child's movement, so that the child would understand the therapist as trying to learn her language. Eventually, the child would allow the therapist to get closer, and then touch was allowed, and finally the child would welcome touch and even run after the therapist if she moved away. Once that started, the children would want to be held, nestled, rocked, and basically treated like infants. They would explore the therapist's body the way toddlers explore bodies, touching everything, pulling at her hair. And after that, the children would start to recognize that they had a separate body, studying themselves in the mirror.
This was a common experience for the disturbed children. They needed a certain amount of physical nurturing, and the therapist would imitate nursing positions, pretending to feed the children with her fingers, all to give the children that experience of bonding and love.
When working with adults, the therapy seemed more about free expression of emotions. It was also a return to that primal experience of knowing you have a body and using it to communicate. It seems that with adults, the biggest problem is that the demands on the intellect and conformity lead people to forget about the body. Kind of like I've heard it said about art--most people are encouraged to draw as children, but then we stop once the demands to read and write become more pressing. So most adults draw like children, because they stopped their artistic development as children. It seems that the same can be said about using the body to communicate. The body is our first language, but once we learn verbal language, we can shift to forget about the body. And yet, by returning to the body, adults were able to better access their emotions and learn how to use those emotions well. Anger was the scariest emotion to express, and work with prisoners and psychotic patients really focused on how to express it but not let it overpower and control the person. There was also a lot of work that focused on how to relate to a group, how to stand firmly on one's two feet, and how to feel supported. And with the elderly in wheelchairs, the session was mostly about touch.
I also enjoyed watching the therapists in the videos. There was a noticeable ease that these women had in their bodies. They could be so expressive with their movements. They were so open to their patients. It made it clear that like drawing, this is a skill that will improve with time.

6 comments:

Marti said...

Can you post the names of these videos? Please...

Kirsten said...

I will ask in a couple of weeks (I'm missing the next class), but they are old and were hard to get, so I'm not sure if they will be very accessible even if I can name them. Maybe I can get some other suggestions from her.

J. Baird said...

I'm glad you found me too. I updated my profile and started a new blog titled "Inspired by Herons". It is fun to get back into blogging along with you and Firefly. This class does sound really fascinating and I totally agree with the power of getting in touch with our inner world through movement and the mind body connection. Some of the most powerful moments with my clients have been when I use movement to assist with healing.

Anne said...

I am so jealous. I actually have not lived up to my promise to myself to take dance classes at all. I've let other things get in the way, and now fatigue is overwhelming me. I wondered if you'd done any reading by Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, the mother of body-mind centering. She says, "There is something in nature that forms patterns. We, as part of nature, also form patterns. The mind is like the wind and the body like the sand: if you want to know how the wind is blowing, you can look at the sand." I also agree that body development is seen as complete in our culture after we learn to skip, hop, and jump. And often you can see the imbalance of mind and body in people who are over or under developed in mind. Finally, I love the way dance can be culturally expressive. I think instead of war we should just get together and have really exhausting dance parties.

Kirsten said...

I haven't read Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, but I will look her up.
It's interesting to think about what else could/should be taught in terms of using the body well - beyond hopping, skipping, and bouncing a ball. Some cultures teach and study sex. (Or at least I'm imagining that's how the Karma Sutra came into being.) That seems very distant from American culture.

And I found the titles of the videos in my syllabus:
Dance/Movement Therapy: The Power of Movement - ADTA
and
Looking For Me - Janet Adler

Marti said...

So, I want to hear the ideas people have about what should/could be taught in terms of using the body well. If you got invited to participate in a think tank to develop ideas for positive cultural change, what would you say? Why doesn't everybody brainstorm and post on it in their own blog sites?