Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Do You Remember That Feeling?

I tutor two kids in my neighborhood, and every few weeks I like to take them to the library to assist them in finding reading material. On our last visit, I suggested to the boy going into sixth grade that we might want to just take a look at the YA section of the library.
"Many of the books might not interest you," I told him, "but I saw a lot of biographies down there, and it would be worth taking a look. You're right at that age where some of those books might be at your reading level."
He is a quiet boy, and when I said this he just opened his eyes wide and nodded his head to indicate that he'd give it a try. After leaving the children's area, we stopped into the teen section, and while I searched through the biographies, Andrew looked carefully around. Then he leaned into the bookshelf where I was checking the amount and complexity of the text in the books and said to me in a very quiet voice, with his nose scrunched up, "I'm going to be a teen?"

I so remember that feeling! All of the adults around me treating it like it's not such a big deal, but also trying to prepare me for some major life change. I remember it most clearly in the battle over wearing a bra. My Mom wanted me to wear a training bra in fifth grade, and I absolutely didn't want to. I can remember sitting in church and looking around me at all of the women, the women in the choir, the women beside me in the pews, and thinking, "they all wear bras. It can't be so embarrassing if every single one of them wears one."
But it still took me several more months before I wore one. And I only started then because my Mom told me in the tone of voice that meant I couldn't argue that we were shopping for a bra.

I'm so glad that phase in my life is over. And I'm also glad that I have such clear memories of it. I think that's why I kind of liked teaching in a Middle School.

1 comment:

Marti said...

Dear La Loba,

I say "La Loba," because I figure if you are not gathering bones anymore, you're doing more than "Seeking." You've done a bit of finding.

I just wanted to point out that you have not posted anything new for a very long time. In fact, a gal could make a leisurely exploration of a foreign country, even in a foreign continent, in the time since you last posted.

Just wanted you to point out that it might be time for the next post, when you feel like it. I have checked three times in the last twelve hourse. :)

Firefly

P.S. Where is Robyn?